Our Experts Weigh In On The AIM ACT
In October 2021, the EPA released The AIM ACT final ruling. In October 2021, the EPA issued a final ...Read more
HARDI Bestow’s 40-Year Honor On Arkema’s Forane RefrigerantsRead more
Arkema Contributes Toward the Creation of a Conference Room for ASHRAE’s New Carbon Neutral HeadquartersRead more
Properties of Forane® 449A (XP40)
- Average Molecular Weight (g/mol) 87.2
- Normal Boiling Point (°F) -50.7 - (°C) -45.9
- Critical Temperature (°F) 178.7- (°C) 81.5
- ASHRAE Safety Group Classification A1
- Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP) 0
- Global Warming Potential (GWP) 1,282
Forane® 449A (XP40) Components
Global warming is the challenge for this century, therefore Arkema introduced Forane® 449A (XP40) as the latest fluorinated retrofit refrigerant for R-22 and R-404A with a moderate GWP of 1282. Designed to be suitable for all refrigeration applications, Forane® 449A (XP40) is a four-component refrigerant with a very low boiling temperature and good cycle performance. This refrigerant (R-449A) shows the best rating between thermodynamic performance, end-user safety, and environmental protection, by using the same high-quality system components available in the market today.
Forane® 449A (XP40) components by % wt
Why these components?
Components R-125 and R-134a are non-flammable pure components; they are designed to provide Forane® 449A (XP40) its A1 ASHRAE classification as a non-flammable refrigerant (the A means low Toxicity and 1 means non-flammable). Components R-32 and R-1234yf are low GWP refrigerants used to reduce the direct impact of Forane® 449A (XP40) on global warming potential. The combination of these components allows high system performance, with a potential reduction in energy consumption and CO2 emissions.
Applications for Forane® 449A (XP40)
Forane® 449A (XP40) can be used for refrigeration (left side of the chart) or heating (right side of the chart). Refrigeration applications for the food industry includes supermarkets, commercial low-temperature refrigeration, as well as stand-alone or cold storage. Heating applications are for chillers, reversible systems, and/or hot water heaters. All of these applications use the same positive displacement compressors technology, like piston or scroll technologies.
Benefits of using Forane® 449A (XP40)
Forane® 449A (XP40) can be used to retrofit R-22, R-404A or any R-407 refrigerants (407A to 407H). In order to keep using existing technology (compressors, heat exchangers,…), any new, retrofit refrigerant needs to have the closest properties to the previous one. Mainly, R-449A has similar normal boiling temperature, critical temperature, and volumetric capacity.
Forane® 449A (XP40) is designed to retrofit R-404A, R-22 or R-407 refrigeration equipment.
- Forane® 449A (XP40) boiling point is lower than -40°C; this guarantees a positive gauge pressure at the evaporator level.
- The higher critical temperature versus R-404A allows for better performance in high ambient temperatures.
- The equivalent volumetric capacity for R-22 and R-404A allows the use of Forane® 449A (XP40) as a replacement product without capacity loss.
- Forane® 449A (XP40) allows equivalent performances versus existing refrigerants and at the same time lower discharge temperature versus R-22.
- Forane® 449A (XP40) is compatible with POE oils, with equivalent thermal stability, low corrosion, and oil degradation level
To determine the compressor envelop that is available for Forane® 449A (XP40), please refer to the compressor manufacturer’s guide.
Retrofit considerations for Forane® 449A (XP40)
When planning a refrigerant retrofit, the technician should conduct a mandatory review of the system technology, standard operating conditions, and fluid properties in order to accomplish a successful refrigerant replacement.
Here are some key points to be considered when replacing the refrigerant:
- Forane® 449A (XP40) is more suitable for positive displacement compressors (Piston, Scroll…). When using the same compressor displacement, Forane® 449A (XP40) can achieve optimal cooling power and energy savings. Since the maximum operating pressure is a function of the operating conditions and the refrigerant, Forane® 449A (XP40) achieves an equivalent pressure level versus R-22 and R-404A as well as the same maximum operating pressure level.
- The temperature entropy diagram shows that the R-449A discharge temperature is lower than the R-22 discharge temperature but higher than the R-404A discharge temperature. For this reason, operators should follow the compressor manufacturer’s guide for compressor selection.
- Forane® 449A (XP40) saturated pressure level is between that of R-22 and R-404A. For the expansion valves, the pressure has an impact on the mass flow and superheat; it should therefore be adjusted as necessary. When retrofitting equipment from R-404A refrigerant to Forane® 449A (XP40), thermostatic expansion valve spring pressure will need to be increased*.
- When retrofitting the equipment from R-22 refrigerant to Forane® 449A (XP40), the thermostatic expansion valve spring pressure will need to be reduced*.
*Refer to manufacturer expansion valve datasheet for more details
Forane® HTS 1233zd refrigerant is non-ozone depleting and is a low GWP HFO refrigerant. Forane® HTS 1233zd is used in centrifugal chillers ...
Forane® 134a (R-134a) is a non-ozone depleting HFC with properties very similar to R-12. It can be used both as a pure refrigerant ...
Forane® 22 refrigerant (R-22) is used in a broad range of applications, including residential and commercial air ...
Forane® 32 is the main component of R-410A refrigerant. Mixed with the R-125 fluid, Forane® 32 is behind the high ...
Forane® 404A (R-404A) is a non-ozone depleting, near azeotropic blend of HFC refrigerants R-125, R-143a, and R-134a, and is formulated ...
Forane® 407A (R-407A) is a non-ozone depleting, zeotropic blend of HFC refrigerants R-32, R-125, and R-134a. ...
Forane® 407C (R-407C) is a non-ozone depleting, zeotropic blend of HFC refrigerants R-32, R-125, and R-134a, and has been ...
Forane® 408A refrigerant (R-408A) is a low-ozone depleting, near-azeotropic HCFC-containing blend of R-22, R-125, and R-143a, ...
Forane® 410A Refrigerant (R-410A) is a near-azeotropic refrigerant mixture composed of two hydrofluorocarbons (HFC) R-32 and R-125, which does ...
Forane® 507A (R-507A) is a non-ozone depleting, azeotropic blend of HFC refrigerants R-125 and R-143a. R-507A has ...